I’m not a big fan of overly sweet desserts and this nutty chocolate caramel tart is made with natural ingredients with the sweetness coming purely from medjool dates. It reminds me a little of a Persian pudding I had once called “Ranginak” (coming soon) a delicious mix of walnuts, dates and pistachios all squashed together into one gorgeous pie.
In this recipe I have used raw cashews, almonds and sesame seeds, the caramel layer is made from dates with a little vanilla and a pinch of salt and the top layer is simply melted dark chocolate mixed with a little almond milk, dead easy and seriously tasty.
NUTTY CHOCOLATE CARAMEL TART
- ¾ cup cashews
- ¾ cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 1 heaped tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 250g dates, de-pitted and soaked if dry
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup vegan milk
- a big of pinch salt
- CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- 50g dark chocolate (vegan)
- 1 tbsp vegan milk
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4
- Take a loose-bottomed sandwich tin approx 4-6" in diameter and lightly grease or line with baking paper.
- Except for the sesame seeds take all the ingredients for the base and blitz in a food processor for a few seconds keeping some nutty texture to the mix.
- Add the sesame seeds and pulse very quickly to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the sandwich tin and spread the mixture out across the bottom to form an even layer, press down to firm.
- Bake for around 8 mins or until firm and slightly golden.
- Caramel Filling
- Take the dates and add them to the food processor, pulsing until smooth, add the milk, maple syrup and salt near the end, pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Once the base has cooled spread the date mixture over the base leaving a tiny rim around the edge like a pizza.
- Melt the chocolate chunks in a bowl over some boiled water until completely melted, add a tbsp of milk to loosen up the sauce (add more if needed), spoon the mix on top of the caramel and pop in the fridge to set for 30mins.
Similar recipes on this blog: