It’s that time of year for us avid vegetable growers when you have so much spinach and garlic coming out of the garden that you don’t know what to do with it all!
Then I remembered a Spinach, Garlic and Chickpea Soup I used to make years ago and veganized it up (took out the cream, that was about it). It still tastes great if not better than before!
I love the garlic and tahini teamed up with the cumin and coriander in this recipe and we usually double the ingredients so we can freeze a batch of this soupy goodness for a rainy afternoon.
This soup is brothy, spicy, garlicky but also filling with the potatoes, spinach and chickpeas.
If you’re going on a hot date in the next 24 hours I would give this soup a miss (for now:) unless you’re loud and proud (and stinking of garlic) in which case go for it and give them a big snog anyway:)
If you like this recipe share it and pop a comment in the section below, we would love to hear from you! Tag your photos on instagram #theartofveg so we can see your creations too!
Thanks you lovely people x
GARLIC, SPINACH & CHICKPEA SOUP
- 350g potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped very finely
- 1 x can chickpeas 400g, drained
- 1 litre veg stock
- 200g de-stalked spinach, very finely chopped
- 4 large tsp tahini
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1+1/2 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put a full kettle on for the veg stock.
- Prep all the veg as listed above.
- Saute the onions in a good glug of olive oil for about 3 minutes over a low heat.
- Add the garlic and stir, cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cumin and coriander and stir, add the veg stock and diced potatoes and turn the heat up to a low simmer.
- As the potato is beginning to soften add the chickpeas, spinach, tahini and ⅛ tsp of cayenne pepper, stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste, as soon as the potato is cooked remove from the heat and adjust any spices to suit.
Other soup recipes on this blog: