Made with all delicious and healthy stuff you’re heading for some sin free indulgence in these vegan chocolate ice-cream bars.
The first time I made these I thought I’d better make enough so we could have one bar a night and that should last us a few days right! Of course that never happened… within a couple of hours they were done for.
My advice to you lovely people is to make as many as humanly possible, it’s a bit of a mission making these up in the first place so you may as well make a truckload.
How long they take depends on whether you are using an ice cream machine or going for the homemade freeze and blend method.
Ice cream machine total time approx 2 hours.
Freeze, blend & freeze method 5-6 hours.
More ice-cream and desserts from the blog.
- VANILLA AND DATE ICE-CREAM
- ½ can coconut milk (full fat)
- ¼ cup maple syrup 1 tsp vanilla paste
- ½ cup date caramel sauce (optional)
- 8 pitted dates (if they are dry, soak for 30mins before using)
- SALTED DATE CARAMEL SAUCE
- 10 dates (soaked for 30mins if dry)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1½ tbsp coconut oil
- ⅔ tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 50g coconut oil
- 30g cocoa
- 30g maple syrup or agave nectar
- pinch of salt
- Puffed rice
- PREP: Soak enough dates for the ice cream and caramel sauce, but remember to split them up later to use in separate dishes.
- VANILLA AND DATE ICE-CREAM
- ICE CREAM MACHINE METHOD: Blend all the ice-cream ingredients together in a blender until well combined.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Add the chilled ice cream to your ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spoon the mixture back into a tupperware container smoothing over the top to create an even layer, and put it into the freezer, meanwhile carry on with making the chocolate and caramel sauce while the ice cream is freezing, freeze for 2 hours minimum or until really firm.
- D.I.Y FREEZE AND BLEND METHOD: Blend all the ice-cream ingredients together in a blender until well combined.
- Pour the ice-cream mix into a tupperware container with a lid; freeze for about 4 hours or until just about frozen.
- Take the ice-cream out of the tupperware and break into a few big lumps, add it to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth and creamy, spoon it back into the Tupperware even out the top and freeze for one hour to firm, this will break up the ice lumps and make it creamy, meanwhile carry on with making the chocolate and caramel sauce while the ice cream is freezing, freeze for 2 hours minimum or until really firm.
- CARAMEL SAUCE: Blend all the caramel sauce ingredients together in a food processor until everything is well-combined and super smooth, spread out in an even layer on top of your ice-cream and return to the freezer.
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE: Mix all the chocolate sauce ingredients in a bowl, stir until smooth.
- EXTRA TOPPINGS: Get a handful of mixed nuts raisins and puffed rice ready and mixed up in a bowl.
- Make sure your sauces are ready to use and your ice cream is rock hard (leave in the freezer until the last minute).
- Get a tupperware container ready to store the bars in once they are ready to store back in the freezer.
- Get a decent sized roll of baking paper or a large tray ready to decorate your bars on.
- Fill a piping bag with the chocolate sauce or just drizzle off a spoon if it’s not runny enough add a tiny bit maple syrup or non dairy milk to loosen it up.
- Turn the ice cream out of the tupperware and carefully slice the ice-cream width ways into inch wide sections.
- Spread them out a cm apart and layer the top of each one with the caramel sauce spreading out the caramel sauce evenly amongst the bars.
- Push the mixed nuts, raisins and puffed rice into the caramel sauce, covering as much of the caramel as possible.
- Drizzle or pipe the chocolate back and forth covering the bars as much as possible before the chocolate runs out OR
- Make double the chocolate sauce, freeze the bars for 30mins after you have added the caramel, nuts, raisins and puffed rice to firm up further.
- Get the chocolate sauce in a wide dish big enough to roll the bars in, roll each bar in the chocolate sauce covering completely.
- If you can resist eating the bars straight away get them back in the freezer to set further/store.