Kale, Garlic and Potato Soup… one of the tastiest ways to get some healthy greens in you.
Flex those muscles (think Popeye) and embrace all the goodness you’re going to get from this delicious iron and vitamin rich soup.
With a dash of cayenne and chilli this soup will warm you through until that sunshine realises it’s actually Spring and gets its sleepy old head up.
Serve with a fat wedge of bread and vegan spread. I always add a little salt to vegan margarines to get that buttery taste going on and you’re set to go.
KALE, GARLIC AND POTATO SOUP
- 3 medium onions, diced
- a glug of olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups of diced potato
- 2000ml veg stock
- 2 big handfuls of kale, shredded
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- a pinch of paprika
- a squeeze of lemon
- Put a large pan of water on to boil for the vegetable stock.
- Chop your onion, potato and kale as listed above and get your spices ready on a small plate.
- In a very big saucepan sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes
- Add the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add your diced potato, spices and veg stock (add 3-4tsp bouillon to 2000ml boiling water) stir.
- Leave to simmer until the potato is soft enough to mash/blend.
- Add the kale, turn the heat down very low and leave for 3 minutes.
- Using a blender stick or blender, whizz the soup until everything is well combined, (be careful if using a blender as some models can only take a little hot liquid at a time).
- Return to the pan and re heat if necessary.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to taste.
- Serve with toasted bread and butter.
Other Soups on this blog: