Look at these gorgeous fluffy Lemon Vanilla Cupcakes! Ready to be devoured alongside a big steaming pot of tea. For me… this is the magic combo.
If you don’t have an icing bag and nozzle just spoon the “buttercream” on top with a spoon & spread the frosting out with the back of your spoon. Not as pretty but your tastebuds won’t mind. Trust me!
If you like this recipe please share it & comment in the section below to let us know what you think. We love hearing from you!
Don’t forget to tag your photos on instagram #theartofveg
LEMON VANILLA CUPCAKES
- 312g plain (all purpose) flour
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- large ¼ tsp salt
- 250g unrefined caster sugar
- 87.5ml neutral-flavoured oil (veg oil)
- 300ml vegan milk
- 2.5 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2.5 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 2.5 lemons
- Lemon Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- ¾ cup vegan marg/butter
- 3 + ¾ cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp lemon juice + zest of 1 lemon
- Line a 12 hole baking tray with cupcake cases. Preheat the oven to 190c (170C fan) / 375F/ Gas mark 5.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, syrup, oil, milk, vinegar, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Tip the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient bowl. Whisk everything together but do not over do it, just enough so that everything is well combined.
- Evenly pour the mixture into the paper cases just around ¾ of the way up the paper cases, tap the baking tray on the counter top to pop out any air bubbles place on the middle shelf in the oven, bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- When the cakes are baked, remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 mins.
- Put all the frosting ingredients into a large bowl or mixer and whisk until light and fluffy, chill in the refrigerator for 30mins to firm.
- Pipe your frosting on as desired using a piping bag or just spoon the frosting onto your cakes with a spoon spreading the buttercream out with the back of the spoon.