This Lentil Shepherds Pie is one of our old time classics that we have veganised over the years by scrapping the cheesy topping and replacing it with a little homemade vegan parmesan and some crispy fried onions for that extra crunch factor!
Who’s missing out here? No one because it’s friggin delicious!
If you have a bag of mixed small frozen veg just swop out for the fresh veg listed here and make your life a little easier.
LENTIL SHEPHERDS PIE (PARMESAN CRUST)
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into inch sized chunks.
- 1 tbsp margarine or 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp wholegrain mustard
- ¼ cup almond milk
- LENTIL VEG MIX
- 1 flat tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup green lentils, washed and drained
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- ½ cup sweetcorn and peas mixed
- 1½ - 2 tsp bouillon
- 2 heaped tsp corn flour/gluten free flour
- 1½ cups almond milk
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- PARMESAN CRUST
- In a food processor blend all the following ingredients together; ideally you want to keep a little crunch.
- ½ cup cashews
- ⅛ cup sesame seeds
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Prep the ingredients as listed above.
- Bring two medium sized saucepans ½ full with water to the boil.
- In one add the lentils, thyme, bay leaf and ½ tsp of salt, simmer for about 15mins or until the lentils are just about cooked through.
- In the other add the chopped potatoes, ½ tsp of salt and simmer for about 15mins or until the potatoes fall apart if you put a fork through them.
- While the lentils are simmering pre heat the oven to gas mark 5/190°C/375°F,
- Sauté the onions for 3-4mins in a little olive oil, add the garlic and carrot and cook for one minute.
- Add the cornflour and stir it into the onions, add the almond milk slowly stirring continuously until your have a creamy sauce.
- Bring the pan down to a low heat and add the parsley, bouillon and drained lentils, stir. Add salt and pepper to taste, spoon the lentil mix into a baking dish.
- Drain the potatoes; add a tbsp of margarine or olive oil, ½ tsp of wholegrain mustard, a dash of almond milk and season with salt and pepper. Spread the mashed potato on top of the lentil mix.
- Top with an even layer of parmesan crunch and bake for 25 minutes.
Other mains on this blog: