Chocolate Cupcakes topped with Maple Roasted Cashew Nuts….whoooah!
Going vegan generally means giving up honey which in turn means saying goodbye to that delicious bag of honey roasted cashew nuts, but have no fear maple syrup is here! It makes a great alternative to honey and I think it tastes even better.
I have used a mixture of wholemeal and spelt flour for these cupcakes but sub for plain if you want a lighter spongier bake.
The chocolate sauce is a mix of maple syrup, unscented coconut oil, smooth peanut butter, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.
If you like this recipe please share it and pop a comment in the section below to let us know what you think. We would love to hear from you!
Tag your photos on instagram #theartofveg so we can see your cup cake creations too!
- 230ml dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 140g brown sugar
- 85ml coconut oil
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 180g spelt flour
- 120g self raising wholemeal/plain
- 45g cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- a pinch of salt
- CASHEW TOPPING
- ⅔ cup cashews
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/350F/175C
- Line a muffin pan with paper cups or grease with a little coconut oil.
- Whisk together the milk & vinegar in a small bowl and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
- Cream together the sugar, coconut oil & vanilla paste in a small bowl and put to the side.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt. Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly but try not to over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the liners, filling three quarters of the way up, bake for 18 to 20 minutes until a toothpick pushed through the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack for 20 minutes before adding the topping.
- In a non stick frying pan add all the cashew topping ingredients, put on a very low temperature and keep stirring until the sugar has melted and reduced over the cashews. Leave to cool before handling.
- Mix up the chocolate sauce ingredients in a small bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon a heaped teaspoon of the topping onto each cupcake, spreading out with the back of a spoon.
- Break up the cashews pieces and push them gently into the chocolate sauce topping.
- Pop the cakes in the refrigerator for ten minutes to set the topping.
Other recipes on the blog: