This weekend just past we had a stall at “Always the Sun” festival in Guildford. On the Sunday we did a live cooking demonstration and this was one of the dishes we cooked up, I wanted to share it with people, as it contains 3 of the magic ingredients all vegan cooks should have in their kitchen (nutritional yeast, black salt & chickpea/gram flour).
These are the perfect ingredients to play with when trying to recreate cheese & eggs like dishes, chickpea flour is great to make Burmese Chickpea Tofu which you can then dice up and make into scrambled egg topped off with a dusting of black salt to give it that eggy flavour, nutritional yeast is perfect for adding a savoury cheesy taste and works great.
The omelettes went down a storm, everyone had little samples to taste and I ended up having to stay on after the demo was done and cook up a few more rounds, so here it is… our new favourite breakfast Potato & Red Onion Omelette!
This recipe is also egg & gluten free and tastes great served up with a side of sliced avocado and small cherry tomatoes you’re going to love this!
If you like this recipe please share it & comment in the section below to let us know what you think. We love hearing from you!
Don’t forget to tag your photos on instagram #theartofveg
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp black salt
- ¼ tsp garlic granules
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- vegan unsweetened milk (enough to make a thick pancake batter consistency)
- ¼ cup mashed potato (optional)
- a few cooked potato slices, red onion & mushrooms
- a sprinkle of black salt to season with at the end
- In a medium bowl whisk together the chickpea flour, garlic granules, baking powder, mashed potato, milk, black salt & nutritional yeast. Set aside.
- In a medium non stick frying pan heat approx 1+1/2 tbsp of oil and heat, add the onion, mushrooms and cooked potato slices, fry for 2mins.
- Pour the batter in and around the veg quickly tilt the pan around in all directions to distribute the batter around the bottom of the frying pan.
- Cook for about 3mins or until the bottom is properly cooked and brown, flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Serve with a good sprinkle of black salt to get that eggy taste, avocado and cherry tomatoes (optional).