I have to confess that up until recently I was a bit of a red cabbage virgin. I have had it cooked on maybe a couple of occasions but that was it. Now I can’t get enough of the stuff!
The trick is to shred the cabbage finely, ideally using a mandolin (watch your fingers). Put it in a bowl with the red onion and give it a good bashing with the end of a rolling pin to release all of that tasty cabbage and onion juice. Make sure your bowl is large, sturdy and can take a good bashing!
To the cabbage mix add a good sprinkle of fine sea salt, lemon juice then give it all a really good mix. Ideally leave it covered to sit in the fridge for 30mins for the flavours to mingle.
If you like this recipe please share it and pop a comment in the section below to let us know what you think. We would love to hear from you!
Tag your photos on instagram #theartofveg so we can see your cabbagy creations too!
RED CABBAGE SALAD
- ½ red cabbage (finely shredded)
- ½ medium red onion (finely red shredded)
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Shred your cabbage and onion ideally using a mandolin (watch your fingers!) or using a sharp knife cutting as finely as possible, place in a large bowl.
- Add the salt and lemon juice and mix.
- With clean hands crush and massage the cabbage mix to break the cabbage (cell walls) down and release some of the cabbage juice or bash with the end of a rolling pin for a minute or two.
- Will keep covered in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
RECIPES THAT WOULD GO WELL WITH RED CABBAGE SALAD
- Vegan Kebab Night
- Cheesy Breaded Portobello Burgers
- Chickpea Tortilas GF
- Bean Salad
- Vegan Mayonnaise
- Vegan Caeser Salad Dressing