This soup is made from all the foodstuffs we tend to have hanging around in our kitchen cupboards.
Everyone’s got a tin of tomatoes, some odd bits of pasta that need using up, an odd carrot or two loitering in the fridge, so this is one of those magic recipes that spring to mind when you think you have nothing for dinner tonight and then light bulb moment… Spicy pasta soup! Double thumbs up.
This is hearty and filling, we often have this as our main meal, served with a chunky wedge of buttered bread or toast.
- olive oil
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 tbsp tom puree
- 1 large tsp chilli flakes
- 6 cloves garlic
- 325g wholemeal pasta
- 2 tbsp olive/coconut oil
- 2 med onions
- 2 med carrots
- 2+1/4 litres of veg stock
- one handful of spinach roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the kettle on for the veg stock (you will need two).
- Chop the onions, carrots and mince the garlic.
- Sauté the onions in a little olive oil, in a VERY big pan for about 5mins.
- Add the garlic & chopped carrot, contined to cook for 2mins.
- Add the vegetable stock, tom puree, chilli flakes, chopped toms, pasta and chickpeas and simmer gently for 5mins.
- Add the chopped spinach and take of the heat as soon as the pasta cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
chunky veg and chilli pasta sauce