This Spicy Lentil Soup recipe is based from the Classic Lentil Soup we all pretty much know and love except this one has a sexy twist to it…smoked paprika and chilli! Oh yes.
I’m a big believer in making decent sized batches of food so there’s always extra to pick at or put in the freezer for future lazy dinners when all you want to do is eat and relax.
This recipe is for 6 portions, which should be enough to keep you going for a while, if you’re a big family why not double up the ingredient list and stash a batch in the freezer for a rainy day!
If you like this recipe please share it and pop a comment in the section below to let us know what you think, we would love to hear from you!
Tag your photos on instagram #theartofveg so we can see your creations too!
SPICY LENTIL SOUP
- 2 tbsp olive oil/coconut oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium baking potato, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- ½ tsp ginger ground
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 large tsp/cubes veg stock
- 2 cups dried red lentils (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 – 2½ litres of boiling water depending on how thick or brothy you want it.
- Put a full kettle on to boil (you will need 2) or get a large saucepan of water on the boil.
- Prepare your veg and mince the garlic.
- In a big saucepan heat a good glug of oil, sauté the onions for 3 min’s then add the garlic.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and bay leaf and sweat for 2-3 min’s
- Add all the spices and stir
- Add the chopped toms, boiled water, veg stock/cubes, tom puree, salt and lentils.
- Simmer on a low heat for about 20-25 min’s, put the lid on and leave to sit for 20 mins.
Other soups recipes on this blog: