Everyone needs a Caesar Salad in their life!
Here’s a great vegan version I adapted from The Minimalist Baker.
Dana’s recipe is delicious! She uses hummus (or houmous if you live in the U.K) as a base, whereas we usually opt for vegan mayo (both are great). To that you add garlic, lemon juice, capers, salt, olive oil and mustard, give it a good mix and voila!
The Minimalist Baker’s idea to use capers is genius, they’re the magic ingredient in creating that authentic caeser taste. We add nutritional yeast for a cheesy parmesan vibe and a little of the caper juice to loosen things up a bit. If you can get your hands on any vegan parmesan then sub that for the nutritional yeast and it will taste amazing!
This has become our favourite salad dressing and perfect for this time of year when us gardeners have vegetable plots full of lettuce ready to be eaten up.
If you like this recipe please share it and pop a comment in the section below to let us know what you think. We would love to hear from you!
Tag your photos on instagram #theartofveg so we can see your Caeser Salad creations too!
VEGAN CAESER SALAD DRESSING
- DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- 3 tbsp vegan mayonaisse
- 4 tsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp garlic granules
- 2 tsp capers
- 2 tsp caper juice (from the jar the capers came in)
- a pinch of salt
- 1+1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp wholegrain mustard (optional)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Take the romaine lettuce and tear into big pieces, wash and spin dry.
- Take the dressing and pour over the salad leaves, with clean hands mix the dressing into the romaine lettuceso all the leaves are thoroughly coated.