You know that feeling you get from eating a bowl of macaroni cheese or a big bowl of pasta, I’m talking about the sensation before the sleepiness sets in and you pass out on the sofa!
Like having your taste buds tickled and your belly cuddled at the same time, well that’s what this sauce does for me.
Pure comfort food but without the migraine. Cheese would do that to some of us!
It’s super easy to make, you make a white sauce (vegan butter/marg, flour and soy milk) add a few magic ingredients like nutrition yeast (of course), nutmeg, garlic, mustard and salt and your pretty much done.
This sauce goes well with macaroni cheese, lasagne, creamy mushroom and broccoli pasta and a few more I’m dreaming up as I write this very post:)
I hope you love it as much as I do x
VEGAN CHEESE SAUCE
- 2 flat tsbp vegan margarine
- 2 flat tbsp plain flour (or gluten free)
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 tsp vegan bouillon
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- a big pinch of salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp whole grain mustard (optional)
- small ¼ tsp nutmeg ground (optional)
- In a medium saucepan heat the margarine over a low heat until completely melted.
- Add the flour and mix until it has soaked up all the margarine, take off the heat for a second and stir into a paste.
- Add a dash of milk and stir in until the flour has loosened into a sauce, return to the heat and keep adding milk bit by bit whilst continuously stirring.
- Add the veg stock, nutmeg, nutritional yeast and salt, stir until well combined.
Other recipes on this blog: