Welcome to your new breakfast buddy…Vegan Egg & Soldiers!
Eggs have always grossed me out a bit. Aside from the fact that the egg industry is a horrendous business, my memories of eating eggs were that they were always a bit unpredictable. One minute you’d be tucking into a boiled egg enjoying the runny yolk with a wedge of buttered bread and then ewww you pull out a snotty stream of jiggly jelly on your bready dipper…cripes you just don’t need that in your life!
I adapted this genius recipe from “One Green Planet” about a week ago and can honestly say we’ve had them pretty much every day since. I’m on them for breakfast and Martin’s having them for his midnight snack attacks.
I was out of polenta which the original recipe calls for so I used semolina instead (win win). I added a couple of flat tbsp of nutritional yeast and a touch of white pepper powder to get them to suit our taste buds. The white pepper (optional) conjures up memories of egg and soldiers at my Nan and Grandad’s house in the summer holidays. They always has the little plastic Saxa shakers with salt and fine ground pepper in them (it’s the little touches that make a big difference).
The black salt is what you need to give this its eggy flavour and smell (a must have), not to be confused with Himalayan salt which is completely different.
Aside from the great taste and texture of this eggy style dip, it’s so quick to make you can get your dippy egg together in roughly the time it takes your bread to toast! We usually make up a decent sized batch so can always re-heat the dip the next day for round two…ding ding.
Serve up in an egg cup/shot glass or a small ramekin (sometimes you just need more dip!) and if you’re not sure where to find black salt, white pepper powder and chickpea flour your local asian food store is probably your best bet. 🙂
If you like this recipe please share it and pop a comment in the section below to let us know what you think. We would love to hear from you!
Tag your photos on instagram #theartofveg so we can see your crazy breakfast creations too!
- 3 heaped tbsp chickpea/besan/gram flour
- 2 tsp semolina
- ½ tsp black salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 flat tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- a tiny pinch of white pepper powder
- Enough water to make a runny batter
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pop your bread in the toaster
- In a small saucepan over a low heat whisk the egg mix until hot all the way through and the mix has thickened to the consistency that you want it (1-2 mins), add more water if it gets to thick and heat for longer if it's too runny.
- Spoon the mix into your egg cups and serve with buttered toast cut into soldiers.
Other recipes you might like: