Yes it’s finally here our favourite invention to date… Vegan style battered Fish & Chips!
This masterpiece was concocted by Martin and has been our no.1 dinner request ever since so I am really happy to be sharing this with you today as I just know you’re going to love it!We’ve been showing people this recipe at our cooking workshops and I don’t think a single person didn’t come back for seconds, the minted mushy peas went down pretty well too!
We make the mock fish with tinned Jack Fruit (in brine not syrup, never syrup) with no need to chop, blend, dissect or reshape, this recipe’s about minimal faff and maximum flavour and the Jackfruit chunks already come in small triangular wedges so they look great once they’re battered and deep fried!
The marinade is a mixture of miso paste, flax oil, garlic powder, soy sauce, salt, nutritional yeast and kelp powder.The kelp gives it that ocean flavour and the flax some good nutritional oil but if you don’t have the flax oil then olive oil will work fine as a substitute.Mix up your batter ingredients in a big bowl, dip the marinated jackfruit into cornflour and then the batter and fry it’s as easy as that!The texture of jackfruit looks just like fish! (see the pic above). We like to serve this up with a dollop of mango chutney and a wedge of lime with some crispy crinkle chips and minted mushy peas… scrumptious!If you like this recipe please share it & comment in the section below to let us know what you think. We love hearing from you!
Don’t forget to tag your photos on instagram #theartofveg
VEGAN FISH & CHIPS (TOFU FREE)
- 1 tin of jackfruit pieces in brine (drained)
- 275ml water
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 2 tsp onion granules
- 2 tsp kelp powder
- 1 tbsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp flax oil
- ½ cup cornflour to coat the jackfruit wedges, approx.
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ tsp salt & sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1 cup water
- Slice any extra large pieces down to about 1+1/2cm thick and lay flat in a large shallow bowl.
- In 275ml of water add all the marinade ingredients and mix, pour the marinade over the jack fruit making sure all the pieces are submerged, leave to marinade for 30mins.
- In a medium bowl mix together all the batter ingredients, cover and leave to rest for 10mins.
- Meanwhile coat each piece of jackfruit in a fine layer of cornflour.
- Deep fat fryer (follow instructions) or in a medium wok or saucepan heat a good amount of vegetable or sunflower oil (make sure you don’t go over the half way mark in the wok/pan. The oil is hot when a small piece of bread dropped into the oil starts to bubble (ideally use a cooking thermometer for safety) or put the end of a wooden spoon in the oil and see if bubbles form around the spoon.
- Take a piece of jack fruit and coat it in the batter, carefully with a long metal utensil drop the jackfruit into the hot oil, repeat until you have a few pieces cooking at the same time, be careful not to overcrowd as they will stick to each other.
- Repeat until all the jackfruit are cooked and nicely brown, usually 3-4mins.
- Great served with chips, minted peas and mango chutney mixed with a dash of lime juice.
Share, like and subscribe to our you tube video!