Over the past two or three years I have spent a fair amount of time trying to make vegan cheese into a block that tastes like crumbly cheddar, unfortunately no such luck! (yet).
I have fermented cabbages, grains, made homemade yogurt, all to try to get that funky cheesy smell and taste, and although some of them were pretty tasty, it’s all a bit of a faff.
The good news is that from looking at all the great recipes out there on vegan blogs and tweaking and jazzing them up to suit my own tastes buds, I now have a great meltable mozzarella recipe to share with you today.
It’s easy to make and you don’t need to wait for 2 days before you can eat it!
Add vegan parmesan to the top and you’ll get a cheesier flavour and a crumbly texture.
Perfect for topping dishes like pizzas, vegan lasagne, moussaka etc.
VEGAN MELTABLE MOZZARELLA (CHEESE SAUCE)
- ¼ cup raw cashews (soaked in water for approx 6 hours or put in boiling water an hour+drained)
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 small garlic clove minced or ½ tsp garlic granules
- 2½ tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½-¾ tsp sea salt (depending on taste)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Blend all the ingredients together until completely smooth and well combined.
- Pour into a medium saucepan and cook over a low heat stirring constantly for 5mins, the mixture will soon start to thicken and become elastic & stretchy.
- Remove the cheese from the heat.
- The cheese is ready to use, if you have any left over it will store in the refrigerator in a sealed tub for a week.
Can also be used to top pasta bakes and lasagne</span>
other vegan basic recipes on this blog.