I love this quiche, it looks amazing, its tastes great and you can change any of the veg to suit whatever you fancy at the time.
I often do a simple pea, mushroom and red onion version of this which is lovely.
If you want a quicker version, get yourself a pre-made pastry case and skip to step 5.
- 1 medium potato
- ½ medium courgette
- 1 small sweet potato
- 349g extra firm silken tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons of hummus or vegan cheese (see recipe) (optional)
- ½ cup small broccoli florets
- ½ yellow pepper
- ¼ cup peas
- 6 button mushrooms halfed
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 4 rashers of vegan bacon chopped into small pieces
- 1 tbsp sundried tomatoes
- Pre heat oven to gas 8/230°C/450°F
- Grate or julienne the potato’s and courgette and place inside a clean piece of muslin/tea towel and squeeze as much of the juice out as possible, season the mix with salt and pepper and add the olive oil, mix.
- Evenly spread the mix all over a loose bottomed flan/pie dish pressing down with your fingers to compress the mix, press the mix into the sides too and bake for 30-40 mins or until golden brown
- While the crust is baking, prepare your veggies and defrost your peas in a mug of boiling/warm water.
- With a little olive oil fry up the vegan bacon bits and mushrooms for 2mins, add the broccoli and peppers for 1 min, then the spring onion and drained peas for one min, remove from the heat.
- For the tofu filling, add the drained tofu to a food processor with the nutritional yeast, garlic, vegan cheese or hummus, salt and pepper and whiz until well combined.
- Add the tofu filling to the veggies and mix.
- Once the pastry has browned through, add the filling and spread out to form an even layer.
- Bake the quiche for about 40-45 minutes, until the top starts to turn golden brown and firm up. If the crust begins to get too brown, cover the edges with foil.
- Once the top has browned slightly and feels firm take out and rest for 5 minutes.
inspired by the minimalist baker, simple tofu quiche
other recipes from this blog.